Club ► Constitution
CONSTITUTION OF HADLEIGH HARES
This constitution was adopted on March 25th 2010.
The name of the Club shall be known as HADLEIGH
HARES ATHLETICS CLUB. Affiliated to England Athletics and British
- The headquarters of the Club is at Hadleigh Leisure Centre for
3. AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
- To allow all members to reach whatever level of enjoyment
from athletics that they want by promoting Amateur Athletics.
- To promote the club within the local community and athletics.
- To provide coaching, competitive opportunities, encouragement
and ultimately better facilities to facilitate this aim.
- To abide by the rules as laid down in the current UK
Athletics "Rules for competition" handbook.
- To abide by the rules as laid down in the current British
Triathlon “Rules for Competition” handbook.
- To ensure a duty of care to all members of the club.
- To provide all services in a way that is fair to everyone.
- To ensure that all present and future members receive
fair and equal treatment.
- To ensure the club is open and inclusive to all regardless
of ability, gender, religion, race or financial restriction.
- Membership shall consist of officers and members of
the club. All members will be subject to the regulations
of the constitution and by joining the club will be deemed
to accept the regulations and codes of conduct that the
club has adopted.
- Members will be enrolled in one of the following categories:
- Full member (18 Years+)
- Second claim / associate member
- Junior member (8 – 17 Years)
- Concession (Student/OAP)
- Family member
- Life member
- Application for membership shall be made in writing
on the appropriate form to the membership secretary and
approved by the majority of the management committee.
- Each member shall pay a subscription, the amount decided
on at the Annual General Meeting, which will be payable
on the 1st of April in each year. Or if joining later than
April, part thereof as decided by the management committee.
- Subscriptions must be paid for the current year before
the member can compete for the club, except where the committee
chooses to waive this rule.
- To resign from the club the member shall give notice
in writing to the secretary. Membership terminates on the
date of the notice, unless the member is financially indebted
to the club. In such cases the committee may withhold acceptance
of resignation until the member has discharged any liability.
- Any member guilty of misconduct (i.e. rules, regulations
and behaviour contrary to the constitution or in a non-sporting
manner) may be cautioned once, or expelled from the club
by a majority decision of the management committee. Any
person expelled shall have the right to appeal to the management
through a committee meeting called at the member's request,
not later than 2 weeks from the date of expulsion
- The committee shall have the power to expel any member
whose subscription is 2 months or more in arrears, provided
a month's notice in writing has been sent to the member,
addressed to the member's last known address, informing
the member of the proposed action of the committee.
5. ASSOCIATE MEMBERSHIP
- Associate Membership is available to any NON-RUNNING
persons who wishes to join the club.
- Associate members pay an annual subscription as decided
at the AGM.
- Associate members have NO VOTING RIGHTS.
- The management of the Club shall be vested in a Committee
that shall consist of the Chairman, Treasurer and Secretary
who shall be Officers of the Club together with a maximum
of twenty other members.
- Committee members will be elected at the Annual General
- All officers will retire each year but will be eligible
- All members are welcome to attend meetings and will
have voting rights if they attend.
- A Honorary President may also be chosen at the AGM.
- The Management Committee shall meet at least every 3
- A quorum for the management committee shall be formed
by 3 committee members.
- All decisions shall be by a majority vote, the person
chairing the meeting shall have the casting vote in the
event of a tie.
- The Management committee has the power to co-opt up
to 3 extra non-voting members, as and when considered necessary,
to create trustees and to form sub-committees.
- The club will be managed through the management committee.
- The management committee will be convened by the secretary
of the club and no less than four meetings per year.
- The management committee will be responsible for adopting
new policy codes of conduct and rules that affect the organisation
of the club.
- All club monies will be banked in an account held in
the name of the club.
- The Club Treasurer will be responsible for the finances
of the club.
- The financial year of the club will end on 28th February.
- An audited statement of annual accounts will be presented
by the treasurer at the Annual General Meeting.
- Any cheques drawn against club funds should hold the
signature of the Treasurer or one other officer.
- The bank account mandate will have the following signatories:
Treasurer, Chairman and one other committee member.
9. ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
- The Secretary shall give 21 days notice of The Annual
General Meeting which will be held during March and during
which the following business will be undertaken.
- The general report from officers of the management
committee will be read and discussed.
- The audited accounts will be presented.
- The Officers and Committee will be elected. Nominations
to be sent to the secretary prior to the AGM.
- Motions to be discussed must be submitted in writing
to the Secretary at least 14 days before the meeting.
- Standing Orders or Rules may only be changed by a two-thirds
- All paid up members attending have the right to vote.
- The person chairing the meeting shall have the casting
- The quorum for AGM’s will be ten members.
- The management committee has the right to call Extraordinary
General Meetings (EGMs) outside the AGM. Procedures for
EGMs will be the same as the AGM.
10. DISCIPLINE AND APPEALS
- All complaints regarding the behaviour of members should
be submitted in writing to the secretary.
- The management committee will meet to hear complaints
within 14 days of a complaint being lodged. If appropriate,
all parties involved should be given the opportunity to
attend an emergency meeting to put forward their case(s).
- The committee has the power to take appropriate disciplinary
action including the termination of membership.
- The outcome of a disciplinary hearing should be notified
in writing to the person who lodged the complaint and the
member against whom the complaint was made within 14 days
of the hearing.
- There will be the right of appeal to the management
committee following disciplinary action being announced.
- The committee should consider the appeal in 14 days
of the secretary receiving the appeal.
11. AMENDMENT TO CONSTITUTION
- The Management Committee, by a two thirds majority at
a quorum meeting called for that purpose, may propose amendments
to the Constitution. The changes may be made only at the
AGM or an EGM called for that purpose. Four weeks notice
must be given for an EGM. A quorum consists of one half
of the attending membership. If a two-thirds majority passes
the motion, the amendment to the constitution will be adopted.
- Alternatively, 10 ordinary paid up and voting members
may petition the Secretary in writing to call an EGM in
which the conditions in the constitution will apply with
respect to calling the meeting and voting at it.
12. CLUB COLOURS
- The colours of the club shall be red and black.
- First claim club colours must be worn by all competitors
at all UK Athletics sanctioned meetings unless mutually
agreed by both Club Captain and Race Referee.
13. RACE ENTRIES
- Members wishing to take part in any race that is coordinated/entered
via the club are requested to pay any fees due in advance.
- Non payment of race fees will be interpreted to mean
that the member has withdrawn from the race.
14. THE LONDON MARATHON – BALLOT OF CLUB PLACES
- Primary qualification criteria
To be eligible to participate in the ballot for Club places
the following primary criteria must be met:
- The member must be a paid up first claim Member
of the Club in the qualifying year (i.e. the year prior
to the Marathon).
- The member must have entered for the London Marathon.
- The member must have the relative rejection slip.
- Secondary qualification criteria
In addition the member must also fulfil the following secondary
- The member must have run at least 3 races for the
Club in the qualifying year.
- The member must have been an active member of the
Club in the qualifying year, as considered by the Committee.
- The member must not have had a club draw place for
the marathon in the previous 2 years.
- In exceptional circumstances the committee may modify
these criteria to ensure that the places are filled.
- No member shall act as a representative of the club
either verbally or through the written word without the
content being approved by the committee or a working party
appointed by the committee.
- The management committee, by a two-thirds majority at
a quorum meeting called for that purpose may decide to dissolve
the club. The committee must then call an EGM giving 3 weeks
notice to all club members. If a two-thirds majority passes
the motion the club is then dissolved.
- Alternatively 10 ordinary paid up voting members may
petition the Secretary in writing to call an EGM in which
the conditions in the constitution will apply with respect
to calling the meeting and voting at it.
- Upon dissolution any funds remaining after all debts
have been met will be donated to ENGLAND ATHLETICS or some
other club with similar objectives to those of Hadleigh
Page last updated: 27th March 2010